Monday, March 21, 2011

jumping in the pool

You'd think that having Gladys as a co-blogger would result in some of her pooling genius to rub off on me. Uh no. The effect is stunning but it is way too fiddly for me. Kinda like the difference between baking & cooking. You can be a little loose when measuring or substituting ingredients when cooking but you can't do that with baking which explains why I cook and I don't bake. And that's why this scarf is my first and last pooling project.


Pattern: based on this scarf by statnerd
Yarn: Socks that Rock Mediumweight in two colors - Smoky Blue (the first and last columns) and Farmhouse (the rainbow-y one)
Needles: 4.5mm Addis
Notes: It was very difficult to pool two different colours. Smoky Blue seemed to have a slightly shorter repeat length than Farmhouse. If you look closely, I was able to knit Smoky Blue at my usual gauge but Farmhouse had to be knit more loosely.

I think my cast on is 245 sts. Each section has 8 garter rows.


I was going to give this scarf to hubby for Christmas but he said the yarn was too scratchy to wear against his neck so I'm going to give it away. Hubby's big fundraising bike ride, Ride2Survive is coming up soon so I'm putting this scarf in the raffle. Keep your eyes peeled for further details.

3 comments:

Monika said...

It looks very good. I know what you mean. I love Gladys's pooling projects, but it's too fiddly for me, I don't have the patience. Too bad your husband can't wear the scarf though.

PurlingPirate said...

I tried to do a pooling scarf with Schaefer Anne. I tried and tried and tried. Love them, won't try again!! See, an old dog can learn from failing at new tricks.

Gail from Surrey said...

Dotty......I think your scarf is lovely!