Friday, July 9, 2010

too hot to knit

We're experiencing a heat wave. At 9am this morning, the outdoor thermometer said it was 25C (80F). Yikes! It was really hot yesterday. Thank goodness we have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. I still slept on the family room couch downstairs. So my hands have been too sticky to do much knitting. I did complete a few projects before the heat wave hit.


Pattern: top down, short row heel, rolled cuff
Yarn: Hand Jive Knits Nature's Palette Fingering; 2 skeins (50g; 185 yds each) in an Odd Duck colour (using leftover dyes)
Needles: 2.25mm dpns
Notes: My second time using this yarn and I like the base. It was shedding little black bits all over while I was knitting. The dyer uses natural materials (plants, bugs, etc.) so I think it's just dye stuff that will hopefully come out in the first wash. I cast on 64 sts for the leg & decreased down to 60 sts for the foot. It's too loose in the leg. I should stick to 60 sts for the whole sock which is my usual number. These are my 49th pair of finished socks. Which pair will be 50? One of my many sock wips or will I cast on & finish something new? Hmmm....

I bought a cute dress to wear to my bday party and I thought it might be nice to have a little shawl in case it was cool (and it was). I did finish one before the party but did not have enough time to block it. And it's still sitting there unblocked because it's too hot to hunch over it and pin it out on the bed upstairs.


Pattern: Annis by Susanna IC
Yarn: Wollmeise 100% Merino Superwash; col Arlene
Needles: 7mm for casting on & 5mm for the body
Notes: Should've cast on more loosely. Don't think the edge is stretchy enough to block well. I used approx. 90g (or 324 yds) of yarn. I like WM for non-sock projects. I don't like it for socks because it doesn't have stretch & bounce. It really reminds me of cotton when I'm knitting with it.

I'm off to sit in front of a fan & maybe have a little nap to catch up on some beauty sleep.

3 comments:

Splindarella said...

I'm jealous that 80 degrees is a heat wave for you. We've just suffered through a week of temps in the high 90s (and one day it hit 101), and me with no A/C. Luckily, I was working on some cool linen/silk/viscose or I wouldn't have been able to knit, either!

Chris said...

I hope the heat breaks soon! Maybe you could pull out a cotton blend to knit...

ColorSlut said...

I hear yah. Out here it is too hot as well.